As a point of entry into continuous processing, Patheon decided to construct an R&D pilot-scale continuous manufacturing OSD suite that could also be utilized for preliminary manufacturing runs. The project had spatial restrictions to fit within an existing retrofit area of the facility. The suite and equipment was designed to facilitate numerous potential equipment set-ups utilizing various unit operations including both wet and dry granulation as well as both tablet compression and capsule filling operations.
The suite fit-out was divided into two phases:
- Phase 1: Fit-out spaces for airlocks, lab, two levels of production rooms, and other miscellaneous spaces (development lab, mechanical areas, and bulk material transfer area). The production suite will contain continuous processing equipment (feeders, blenders, mills, tablet press, fluid bed dryer and roller compactor).
- Phase 2: Fit-out for continuous coating equipment
This project required a fast track design approach in which IPS provided design documentation concurrently to the ongoing construction activities. IPS was able to achieve this by focusing on the following key design areas:
- Early code analysis and application
- 3D modeling of all equipment and facility to prove out limited space and appropriate piping and wiring paths
- Platform designed to allow free floating sections to minimize impact to loss-in-weight feeders
- Utilized smart P&IDs to generate one master set of documents from all vendors to facilitate instrument integration with the high-level process control automation system
Region: AmericasCountry: United StatesOffice: Morrisville, NC
Services: Architecture, Design, EngineeringFacility Types: Manufacturing, Research & Development